“You have days when you want to quit and ask yourself “is this worth it?” Whether it’s podcasting, whether it’s continuing on a run…Having people who can help you, in a mentorship role or a training partner–find those people. It’s a lot easier to get through things when you’ve got support from others.”
Mario Fraioli is the host and creator of the Morning Shakeout podcast and newsletter, a running coach, and my mentor in the Tracksmith Fellowship Program. Since last fall, Mario has been an incredible resource, guiding me through the ins and outs of podcasting. He hosts the successful Morning Shakeout podcast, where you can find him in conversation with some of the top athletes, coaches, and personalities in running. Mario ran Division II track and cross country at Stonehill College, where he was the program’s first ever All-American in cross country. Prior to launching the Morning Shakeout, he was a senior editor at Competitor Magazine and worked in numerous spaces in both running and media. In this conversation, we dive deep into Mario’s career in journalism, his not-so-secret obsession with basketball, and his thoughts on diversity/inclusion within the industry today. Mario is originally from Massachusetts, but currently resides in California with his wife and their (super adorable) dog, Tahoe.
In This Episode:
- The Morning Shakeout Podcast & Newsletter
- Tracksmith Fellowship Program
- Dinée Dorame on the Morning Shakeout Podcast | Episode 145
- Coach Wooden’s Pyramid of Success: Building Blocks for a Better Life, by John Wooden and Jay Carty, 2009 (Reprint)
- Central Mass Striders Run Club
- The White Lotus on HBO
- McCartney 3, 2, 1 on Hulu
Follow the Morning Shakeout:
- Podcast: https://themorningshakeout.com/category/the-morning-shakeout-podcast/
- Newsletter/Subscribe: https://themorningshakeout.com/
- Instagram: @theamshakeout
- Twitter: @theAMshakeout
- Mario’s Website: https://mariofraioli.com/
Follow Grounded Pod:
Music by Jacob Shije (Santa Clara Pueblo, NM).
This podcast was made possible through the Tracksmith Fellowship Program.