“As I grow as a writer and a journalist, I am constantly just trying to listen and learn from new perspectives. Never put something off as a topic that you ‘know about’ or that you’ve done work on…always be open to learning more and listening more.”
Emma Zimmerman is a Brooklyn-based writer, journalist, and podcast host. Her work primarily explores topics of women in endurance sports, sport and social change, and environmental justice. Emma’s Social Sport Podcast is part of the CITIUS MAG Podcast Network and “features conversations with endurance athletes of all types committed to fostering social change.” Her writing has appeared in Taproot Magazine, Runner’s World, Trail Runner, and more. Emma ran Cross Country and Track & Field at Grinnell College, where she also earned her BA in Political Science and Environmental Studies. She is currently pursuing her MFA in Creative Nonfiction Writing at New York University. In this conversation, Emma offers listeners a writing prompt to get your creativity flowing in the outdoors and we hear about how she’s used writing as a tool for social change.
In This Episode:
- Social Sport, a Citius Mag Podcast
- Social Sport Ep. 53 – Dinée Dorame on Living Her Values as a Navajo Woman in Sports Media
- “How Dinée Dorame Is Building A Deeper Understanding Of Running Culture,’ by Emma Zimmerman, Trail Runner Magazine, July 14, 2021
- The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson
- Ted Lasso on Apple TV+
- The Mamas & the Papas
- Paul Simon
Follow Emma Zimmerman & Social Sport Podcast:
- Instagram (Emma): @emma_zimmerman
- Twitter (Emma): @emmamzimm
- Instagram (Social Sport): @socialsportpod
Follow Grounded Pod:
Music by Jacob Shije (Santa Clara Pueblo, NM).
This podcast was made possible through the Tracksmith Fellowship Program.